Friday, January 30, 2009

Superbowl Friday

Not to turn this into a total love-fest for MLB Network, but did you all know that the Superbowl is on Sunday?  I didn't.  Know why?  Because I haven't watched ESPN in weeks.  Also, there's the Joe Torre thing that's consuming everyone's consciousness, so thank goodness for snarkiness, amirite?

In other news, I feel bad for Torii if this is true, but I have to say I enjoyed the concept.  This is mostly because I really enjoyed watching the Tigers crash and burn and the Twins and White Sox come out of the rubble victorious, and seeing all the analysts on-air personalities suddenly scrambling to explain why the two teams they thought were worthless good-for-nothings were suddenly battling it out for first.  I resent, of course, that most of the focus was on the White Sox, who of course were "better than we expected" rather than "lucky," but you're not a Twins fan if you don't have a mild chip on your shoulder over media coverage.  

Also, Houseboy came up with what I hope is a brilliant parallel for the Twins next year in the 1983 Orioles.  They were beaten by the Brewers in a one game playoff in 1982, but came back the next year to win the division by 6 games.  Not to mention winning the World Series that year, which would be nice.  Not having Cal Ripken might make a difference, but we'll see. 


....

No comments: