Monday, August 6, 2007

If on an island whom would you choose...?

The question/threat was poised to me today regarding a certain Mr. Wonderful and why I don’t give him the credit he deserves in his current position as shortstop for the Yankees. Then the ultimatum was thrown of daring me to provide 5 “current” players I would rather choose, 5 players that could even hold a flame to Mr. Wonderful. And, well I have them and honestly I feel very good about them, all things considered. I mean, they are younger, they are more fiscally responsible, and they have not neared peaking. If I had to choose I choose the below (in no specific order, since I wasn’t challenged to rank just to provide alternatives)

Jose Reyes, New York Mets:
He has a .303 batting average with 53 steals. Offensively, he has a .450 slugging percentage with 10 triples and 28 doubles, 8 homeruns, 45 rbi’s. And yeah, he is under 25 years old.

Jimmy Rollins, Philadelphia Phillies:
20 homeruns with 61 RBI. He has a league leading 12 triples and 23 doubles, a .288 batting average and a .524 slugging average. I also found out that he had 79 extra base hits this year, which is more then some of the other high rollers. He is on way, very quickly to the 30-30 club. (stolen bases-home runs..same season) He is 28 years old….

Hanley Ramirez, Florida Marlins:
A .339 batting average and 17 homeruns. Stolen 27 bases this season with 27 doubles. He has an amazing .565 slugging percentage. I repeat, .565 slugging percentage. And, he is 21 years of age.

Carlos Guillen, Detroit Tigers:
.310 average, 14 home runs, 72 rbi’s, and 10 stolen bases. Still only, 32 years of age. And he produces these results while only taking home 5mil a year.

J.J. Hardy, Milwaukee Brewers:
.271 average, 18 home runs, 63 rbi’s…okay his stolen bases aren’t up there but I can’t help it…he has serious potential for the future and all should be watchfully anxious of how great he can become. (on both NL and AL standards of “great”) I like him, can’t help it. Plus, his favorite movie is “the Rock”...that must show something about survival. And yeah, he is under 35 too…

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Could you at least post Jeter's stats in comparison?

I mean the guy has only led the MAJORS in hits since 1996, on pace for this 5th 200 hit season this year, and is a lock for 3,000 hits, barring injury.

But I'm sure the likes of J.J. Hardy are just as good.