Saturday, August 4, 2007

Midwest values.

Moving from Chicago to D.C. I expected change. I held no assumptions that the people, the city, the food anything would be exactly like that which I was use to in my former home. I was prepared for this, and honestly looking forward to it. Since my move I have embraced these changes. Well, all but one. Before I could register what had happened I found myself being surrounded by intelligent people who supported sports teams and sports ideologies that are just sooooo wrong to me!!! I was blindsided by these teams and by their corresponding fan base!! What had happened to society? How can the 800 plus miles place me in this misguided reality?! I have had to reach out to my friends at home, quite often, just to assure myself that it is not I who was raised in the wrong, it is not I who have vested my years researching and supporting the right teams and it is not I who need to embrace the way of the Yankees, Redskins, Nationals..any of them! It is they that do. I must admit, preparing for what I thought was everything I had missed this one. I have discovered that it is not simply about defending statistics of my teams, that can be done and I can be proven correct. There is a deeper issue here; I feel the values of what makes a team, what makes the sport what it is are misplaced. That dialogue I am invested in pursing until I can save those that live in this dark side. Its for their own good, I feel it my duty to find a way to show them the path and open their eyes to all that Midwest sports values have to offer. Your welcome.

No comments: